Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Law is Complex

My youngest brother sent me a link to a court decision in which his name appeared (he was the contracting officer who denied a claim for money by a company). However, as my middle brother noted, in an EMail, and which I picked up from its several mentions in the court decision, there was a reference to "Rick’s Mushroom Service v. United States,".  This, in turn, lead to "spent mushroom substrate".  It makes you never want to again have your steak smothered in mushrooms.

I have a PDF copy of the 14 June 2010 decision in PARADIGM LEARNING, INC., v THE UNITED STATES, which I would be happy to EMail to anyone who asks (crk at theworld.com), but I don't yet know how to attach a PDF to a blog post.  Advice would be appreciated.

In a twelve page decision, Judge Margaret M. Sweeney, of the United States Court of Federal Claims, dismissed the defendent's,♠ request that the case by Paradigm Learning, Inc, be dismissed.  The Paradigm folks are claiming that having seen their product the Government created a like one of its own and didn't pay up for violating the proprietary rights of Paradigm.

I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out, as the fondest dream of my 20s was not to make Ace, although I would have loved it, but to hold a patent and to be able to say to the Government, no, we will use my Terms and Conditions.

Regards  —  Cliff

♠  That would be us taxpayers, represented by Joseph A. Pixley, United States Department of Justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be forthright, but please consider that this is not a barracks.