The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Friday, January 23, 2009

May the Force Be With You

I am not sure I know who Kathleen Parker really is, but I thought this opinion piece was nicely balanced. I am not a follower of Ms Parker's columns but was intrigued by the title--which I assume belongs to the editors and not the writer--"Karmic Justice."

Ms Parker is the person who called for Governor Sarah Palin to step down as the Republican VP candidate in last year's election. She received some comments and wrote about the responses in one column:  "Allow me to introduce myself. I am a traitor and an idiot. Also, my mother should have aborted me and left me in a dumpster, but since she didn't, I should have myself." There is someone with a sense of humor.

Because of my affection for former British PM Tony Blair and for French President Nicolas Sarkozy, I liked this point:
And former French President Jacques Chirac was taken to the hospital after being bitten by his pet Maltese poodle. The pup was being treated for depression, apparently unsuccessfully.

Somewhere, Tony Blair is smiling.
She also has some Karmic Justice for us, the Citizens of this Great Republic:
Obama didn't use the precise words, but he implied in his inaugural address that our current crises are karmic justice for decades of self-indulgence, greed and irresponsibility. It's not that we necessarily deserve a collapsed economy, two wars and a warming planet, but we can't place all the blame elsewhere.

Urging a new era of responsibility -- long the rallying cry of conservatives -- Obama was essentially invoking ancient scripture: "For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

As presidential mantras go, we could do worse. May good karma be with him.
So, let us all resolve to do better and may the karma be with us.

Regards -- Cliff

No comments: