The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Out Back Question of the Week

Today is Veterans Day.

But, the question is, what was it before it was Veterans Day?

For bonus points, how does the number 11 play in this?

And for even more points, why is the poppy the symbol of this day in so many places?

Regards  —  Cliff

2 comments:

Corey said...

YES! The nine hundred and eighty dollar online class I took in WWII history pays off! (Veteran benefits do not cover online classes, weird huh?) I took it anyway, because everyone should learn what happened…

Veterans Day is still celebrated as “Armistice Day” in other parts of the world… it celebrates the cessation of hostilities following World War I.

11th month… 11th day… 11th hour… of 1918

*Poppy that grows naturally in the fields of Europe became the symbol for the many veterans buried there… red for the blood and lives sacrificed.

Remember a Vet today!

ncrossland said...

Perfect!!

It was, as I recall, not only to honor the fallen of the Great War, but to serve as a reminder of the horrible cost of such a venture. That philosophy in some part led to a much more pronounced attitude of isolationism that FDR had to overcome in order to get us into WWII. I'll not go into the millieu of conspiracy theories regarding that aspect of his unprecedented reign.

BTW, I don't think we have yet learned the lessons of history, but just so we don't have to, now it's Veterans Day.....not that very many people even notice. I looked on the I-93 webcam over by Methuen....sure looked normal to me.

Oh well, those of us who did know what we did and why. Those who didn't, don't, and it doesn't matter.

BTW...I STILL call it Armistice Day.

Regards

Neal