The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Conventional Arms Control

A friend of mine sent me a link to an interview with Mr Dudley Brown, Executive Director of the National Association for Gun Rights.  In the video Mr Brown was discussing the threat of a United Nations gun ban and its implication for the Second Amendment to the US Constitution.  Mr Brown is concerned that a UN treaty will impact US gun rights.

Yesterday I was at a Conference where a group of historians talked about the consequences for and reactions of nations experiencing existential defeat in war.  I had lunch with two people I had met at the conference, one of whom is a Government Civil Servant working for the Department of State in the area of conventional arms control.

Even before seeing the clip with Mr Brown I knew that there were concerns about UN agreements and so I asked my lunch parter about this, given that he is working on a treaty on conventional arms control.  He said to me that part of his job is to make sure no treaty treads on the Second Amendment to the US Constitution.  He described it as a "Red Line" issue.  This gentleman left no doubt in my mind that the treaty he is working on in Foggy Bottom is not seen as, nor in fact is, an end run on our Gun Rights.

I felt a lot better about this issue after lunch.

Regards  —  Cliff

  A section of NW Washington, including the Department of State.

5 comments:

Craig H said...

I've always taken 2nd amendment fear-mongering, popular among right-wingnut polemicists, to say more about what right-wingnut polemicists are willing to do to win support than anything about any supposed left-wingnut plot to confiscate our guns. Right-wingut polemicists only DREAM the UN will try to confiscate our guns, as it would give them what they really want, which is unquestioning political support, which really has nothing to do with anyone's interest or lack thereof to see the US general population armed and thinking for themselves.

Jack Mitchell said...

Thank you, Cliff. You help me believe in America.

ncrossland said...

As in all things political and desires for control, there have been and likely still are many who would sell out to a world government, and think that making the UN the titular head is a really wonderful idea. Then there are those who have other ideas. Who knows where they will end up. Gun control within the US is a hotter issue than outside the borders. Amazingly though, the states with the least control of guns have also the lowest crime rate...per capita. I had a neighbor in Belleville, IL who had the nicest Jack Russell you've ever seen.....friendly. And his master was a "friends of the earth" kind of guy....a wonderful neighbor. A few blocks away lived a guy with a "not so wonderful" attitude.....and a pit bull. Well, one day...the pit bull was out wandering and came upon the Jack Russell.....who thought he had a new friend......and without warning...the pit bull literally dismembered the Jack Russell.....all in front of the horrified neighbor. The guy went over to the pit bull owner's house to complain and for his effort, got his nose broken. He came home, bandaged his bashed nose, went into town to a pawn shop and purchased a .357. Came back to our subdivision, pulled up in front of the other house, and seeing the pit bull in the yard, blew its butt to the next county....and when the owner came out with a shotgun and pointed it at the guy, he shot him too. They indicted him, but set him free at trial. The neighborhood became much better after that.

I have a 9mm Glock with a 9+1 clip, a .40 S&W 16+1 Springfield Armory XD-M semi-automatic, and a 6 +1 Wilson Combat Professional autoload, 16" barrel modification of the Remington 640 12 ga. pump. I don't run around in the woods playing soldier, nor do I readily show anyone the weapons....but they are loaded....and quickly accessible...not by my grandkids unless they have somehow inherited my index finger prints....but if someone decides what is mine is theirs...or threatens my grandkids or kids.....I will employ them.

Not sure what ammendment covers that....don't care.....and nobody is ever going to disarm me because they don't like guns.

Oh...and I am a conservative Christian....for any who want to brand me....

Anonymous said...

The only way any UN treaty could affect the US is if we agree to it. The UN has no power to impose its will on any individual country. The Kyoto agreement is a good example, as is the Universal Declaration of the Rights of the Child. The US did not agree to the latter because of wanting to maintain our right to execute children who have committed grievious crimes.

ncrossland, how do you interpret Jesus telling his followers: "You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also" (Matthew 5: 38-39.) Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself.
Vigilanteism is not the message of Christ. What Christian religion teaches that to you as a way to live the Christ centered life?

ncrossland said...

Dear Anon, first, it isn't vigilantism. I'm not out looking for someone who has "done wrong."

And second, how would you interpret that same scriptural reference to killing or maiming in war? Or maybe you advocate letting evil ride roughshod over the good.

I'll leave God's judgement of me to God, not to man or "religious" systems. He and I have a personal relationship, and it is He who I take my direction from. I bought my weapons after much prayerful reflection. Haven't killed or hurt anyone and really don't want to.....but if someone wanted to invade my home and do harm to me.....or members of my family.....I will employ a "terrible swift sword." Then God and I can review the matter.