The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Most Expensive Pentagon Weapon Has Problems


For John, BLUFRemember when we lost one of the prototype B-17s because someone forgot to remove a "gust lock"?  The Navy version of the F-111 died when Bash Nash crash landed it at NAS Point Magu.  Nothing to see here; just move along.



Yesterday's edition of Business Insider has this headline—This Map Explains Why The F-35 Has Turned Into A Trillion-Dollar Fiasco.  The reporters, Jeremy Bender, Armin Rosen and Skye Gould, provide the story.  I expect the headline writer is over the top, but the maps which are the story, tell a tale of economic benefit spread across the nation and across the globe.

I suspect that the F-35 will be like most aircraft developments.  A Lot of learning.  There was an item in Bloomberg yesterday, by Tony Capaccio, on the F-35B having flawed software, which translates into incomplete software for the US Marine Corps version in the area of weapons delivery.  The article is "F-35 Debut Hobbled by Flawed Software, Pentagon Tester Finds".

What is important is what is missing in terms of weapons delivery limitations.

I remember one day, back when I was flying jets, back in about 1987, I found myself flying single ship with an F-16C (Block 30), my wingman having aborted or been MND (Maintenance Non Delivery).  So, I loaded up the Data Transfer Cartridge (DTC, a sort of Memory Stick from Squadron Ops to the Aircraft) to program the (simulated) weapons for the aircraft with M-129 Leaflet Bombs and headed on a pre-planned low level route to do a simulated bombing run on some little village on the North Germany Plain.  I made the run and when I pulled up to toss the [simulated] bombs I got no release light.  I pulled off to the left and ran back down toward the Initial Point (IP), checking everything and everything was fine.  So, I "downloaded" the M-129 Leaflet Bombs and upload a B-61.  I headed back in from the IP toward the village and got a nice release notification as I pulled up and tossed that bomb (in simulation) onto the village.  Showed them!

So, there was no ballistics data in the aircraft computer for the M-129.  But, fortunately, there was for the B-61.  The B-61 being our primary variable yield nuclear weapon on the base to which the aircraft and pilot were assigned.  The last time I had dropped M-129s for real was in 1966, over North Viet-nam.

So, it depends on what is not included.  We don't know.

Regards  —  Cliff

No comments: