The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

The Gleichschaltung


For John, BLUFGleichschaltung—"the standardization of political, economic, and social institutions as carried out in authoritarian states."  Nothing to see here; just move along.




From The Chicago Boyz, by Blogger David Foster, 11 July 2019.

Here is the lede plus:

Bernie Marcus, co-founder of Home Depot:

“I woke up this morning thinking it was going to be another great day.  I’ve been celebrating with friends, family and the community since I turned 90.  I’ve told you about the gracious gift of $117 million that was collected and given in my honor to four charities that mean a lot to me.  All that happiness blew up because I said in a newspaper interview that I have supported and will continue to support Donald Trump.

Boom!

Negative stories… vicious threats, without cause, to boycott the company that has enabled my foundation to give billions to support autism, medical research, education, heart and neurological issues like stroke, and to help our veterans.  The company that I retired from in 2002 and have not had a business relationship with in almost 20 years.  A company that has employed more than a half-million people.  The people who work there are affiliated with both political parties or no party at all.  They are of all religions and all colors and backgrounds.  Why would people want to hurt them?

All because I give my voice and some of my money to our President.  Am I in China?  Argentina?  Russia?  That’s what it feels like to me.

It saddens me that our country has come to this, where I, as a private citizen, cannot express my feelings.  It angers me and it saddens me, but it sure as hell is not going to stop me.  If you thought it would, you’ve got the wrong guy.

There are some bad ideas out there.  There are some hurtful ideas out there.  Countering such idea is not best done by suppressing them.  It is best done by engagement.  By education.  By reaching out.

Hat tip to the InstaPundit.

Regards  —  Cliff

No comments: