The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Column on Sunday

Just a little while ago I called the office phone of Senior Writer Jen Myers about an excess comma and four words in today's edition of "The Column".  I got the Evening Duty Reporter and left my message for Ms Myers, in hope she would make sure the right person got it.

I admit that I was not aggressive enough in pointing out an earlier version of this error, found in the Blog of The [Lowell] Sun.

But, first, a part of today's "Column" was devoted to speculation about who might be appointed to replace Mr Mike Lenzi on the GLTHS School Committee, if and when he and his wife move into their recently purchased home in Dracut.  This was after a discussion of proper attire for City Officials.  I recommend one and all stop by Dapper District from time to time for advice.  The Blogger, Lee Warren, has good insights and suggestions.

But, back to the GLTHS issue.  The Column lays out the reason Mr Lenzi might step down and then goes on to list those who have thrown or might throw their hat in the ring.  In addition, the include comments by someone who was being mentioned earlier as a candidate, Ms Regina Faticanti.  In saying she was not putting her name forward she said some very nice things about me.  Modesty requires that I not quote directly, but I do thank you, Regina.

Now, to the comma and the four words.  The Column says, in part:
Krieger was approached by Lowell School Committee member Kim Scott.  He said he would be honored to serve until the election, and will not run.
As Mimi points out on Left in Lowell, this is not the first time The Sun has said I would not run for the subsequent election if appointed.   I dealt with this in an earlier blog post, here.

Taking the option of running in the subsequent election off the table is to diminish one's effectiveness, since others would be able to conclude that the appointed person, whoever it might be, could be waited out.  Bureaucracies do that sort of thing from time to time.

So, I will be applying for the post held by the Esteemed Mr Lenzi, if and when he steps down, and I am already beginning to think about the implications of the subsequent election season, whether I am appointed to the GLTHS School Committee or not.

Regards  —  Cliff

  Ms Faticanti and I have a common interest in the issue of Terrorism and from time to time we exchange information on studies and reports.
  Thanks, Mimi.

No comments: