The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Follow-up on Lime Rickey Post


For John, BLUFNotoriety is not always good.  Nothing to see here; just move along.



Followup to the previous post, "Drug Cartels Drive Food Prices", which discussed the Lime Rickey.  The person to whom the invention is attributed was not happy with said attribution:
Some people are born to fame; others achieve it, while celebrity is thrust upon a few.  Among the latter is Col. Joe Rickey, of Missouri.  But instead of feeling proud of the fact that he has given his name to a popular tipple Col. Rickey feels very much aggrieved.  "Only a few years ago," he said recently, "I was Col. Rickey, of Missouri, the friend of senators, judges and statesmen and something of an authority on political matters and political movements....  But am I ever spoken of for those reasons? I fear not.  No, I am known to fame as the author of the 'rickey,' and I have to be satisfied with that.  There is one consolation in the fact that there are fashions in drinks.  The present popularity of the Scotch high ball may possibly lose me my reputation and restore me my former fame.  'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished for.'"
That from the Wikipedia entry for the Lime Rickey.  The quote is from The Wellsboro Gazette, 26 July 1901.

Regards  —  Cliff

No comments: