Pursuant to Chelmsford Laws Section 2-11 (C) the undersigned persons request the Spring, 2010 Town Meeting warrant include the following item:
Property tax paid in a calendar year shall be no larger than the amount paid in the year of the resident’s Social Security Administration retirement. No refunds will be given to those who retired in prior years.Short and simple and the author has some points in support of his Warrant Article:
- Property tax is a tax on inflation.
- The cost of running the Town does not directly relate to inflation.
- Retirees have paid property taxes through their lives. Tax has been paid directly by owners and indirectly as a rent component for rented property.
- The largest part of the Town budget is people-related: salaries and benefits for both current employees and also for retired Town employees(!).
- Retirees must pay for their benefits using already taxed money.
- Social Security Administration has frozen the retirement benefit for two years.
- Town budgets continue to increase.
- Retirees need to know how much they have to live on and it cannot be dependent on the whims of the SSA or Town budget.
One man's view and since it is Town Meeting Government he gets to put forward this Warrant, if he can get the signatures.
Regards — Cliff