The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Value for Taxpayers

This AM I was at Dunkin Donuts on Route 38 here in Lowell.  I was in my car, about to pull out of the parking lot when I noted a silver Honda next to me with white smoke pouring out from the front hood area.  The young lady driving the car had gotten out and was looking at it, but without an apparent plan.  I got out of my car, wondering where my fire extinguisher was, when I notice a Lowell "Emeergency Management" SUV parked next to me and the driver walking toward the building.  I said "Excuse me." and asked if he had a fire extinguisher and noted the white smoke to the gentleman.  He said he did not, but immediately got on the horn and within 90 seconds there was a fire engine there and firemen checking the car.  Ninety seconds later a Police Cruiser pulled up and the officer stepped out.

Turned out the radiator had boiled over.  Good news for all.

I was impressed by the quick response, but also by the very positive and friendly attitude off all the Lowell emergency response personnel.  Made me proud as a citizen and made by feel my tax dollars are being well spent.

Regards  —  Cliff

1 comment:

The New Englander said...

Thanks for writing this.

The one time I've ever had to call for emergency services, the response was lightning quick, and highly professional. I felt like I was barely off the phone with the operator for more than a minute when the cavalry charge of police, fire, ambulance, and another emergency vehicle came screaming down Willie St.

I'll write more about this after I head back to school in the fall but in the time I've spent so far in city government I can say that by and large people are very responsive and professional. From what I gather, things were a little different before "the cuts" (the RIF that took place a couple years ago) but unlike things I've seen on the federal side (people earning in that upper-5/low-6 figure 'sweet spot' to do next-to-nothing) at the municipal level that's not the case.

The simple explanation for this is that there's just that much more scrutiny on budgets at lower levels of government. A "hideaway" job at 99k can happen on the fed side (believe me, I've seen it) but it would be darn nigh impossible to sneak that in during a televised local budget hearing.