The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Problem Identification


For John, BLUFLife is an adventure and sometimes we go down weird paths.  Nothing to see here; just move along.



I noticed the lamp on my Wife's Night Stand flickering.  I immediately assumed a problem with the socket or a frayed wire, and got to work.

I went to Home Depot, looking to buy a cord to wire into the lamp.  I already had a light bulb societ.

At Home Depot I went to Aisle 43 and looked for a wire with a plug on one end and a couple of soldiered wires at the other end.  I found a heavy duty replacement for a power tool.  Not the visual presence I was looking for.

I wandered around, looking for a clerk, and couldn't find one.  I tried calling Home Depot and was told that they would send someone.  Five or so minutes later I repeated the call and again I was promised they would send someone.  After a couple of minutes I spotted "Bonnie" down at the other end of the Aisle.  She had been there when I had first started looking, thinking to do it on my own, but wandered away.  Now she was with a customer, so I waited.  I explained my problem and she took me in a totally different direction, so an "End Cap" that had what I wanted.

Equipped, I took the pretty large brass lamp into my lap and began to disassemble, which involv3d several parts.  I had to get a pair of vice grips to deal with a pipe in the middle, to free up the remainder of the socket, the cap that screwed onto the pipe.  Then I found that the replacement socket was not the same size as the pipe running through the lamp, but God smiled on me and I had a different socket available, which fit.

I got it all wired up and took it to the bedroom and plugged it in.  The light still flickered.  I pushed the mattress away from the wall, but the plug looked fine.

My wife suggested it might be the light bulb.  I was dubious, but we tried it and it worked fine.  The problem, all along, was the light bulb.

Regards  —  Cliff

No comments: