The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

DADT Update

The Lowell Sun has come out with an editorial endorsing repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (DADT).  Titled, "A military for all", the editorial says:
If the Pentagon says gays serving in the military would not harm long-term military effectiveness, that's good enough for us.  We say it's time to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy that was established 17 years ago during the Clinton administration.
Of course, it is not quite that black and while.  A friend of mine, in another forum, raised some questions about the survey the Department of Defense did, including whether the public positions of certain leaders influenced answers.  He, in turn, was answered by another member of the forum, a PhD in statistics and a designer of questionnaires, who said that it was a well designed tool.

However, it is to be noted that the "no" vote seemed to be clustered in the combat arms parts of the Army and Marine Corps.  Of the Marines, 32% of the riflemen who responded said that openly introducing homosexuals into the military would cause them to get out sooner. The Army Combat Arms people had a slightly lower score.  The overall number was 12.6%.

Of course, the question is, where would they go, given civilian workplace rules today against sexual harassment?

And, here is a comment from a "field grade" officer in the US Army.
It is interesting to note, however, that similar numbers of southern whites expressed such "I will leave" thoughts (according to the study) in 1947 and few did.  I also doubt the number of those who feel so strongly that they will cash out at the 12-18 year mark short of a 20 year retirement.  My S3, who is horrified at the prospect of repealing DADT on moral/religious grounds, has said he will leave - after 20.  No telling what happens between implementation and then that may change his calculus.
But, back to the survey instrument, here is the official version of the results.

For a breakdown by various groups (USMC is Appendix L) go to this link.  As an FYI, there is a breakdown between "Combat Arms", "Combat Support" and "Combat Service Support".  For a rough breakdown, Combat Arms are those Infantry and Tank units that close with the enemy.  Combat Support would be like Artillery or Engineers.  They are up front and in danger, but they are supporting the aforementioned Infantry and Tank units.  Combat Service Support is the rest of what makes the ground forces effective, like transportation units and supply units.  They are further from the front lines.

I had an EMail exchange with a classmate from "college" (the Air Force Academy).  He allowed that while on active duty (he served over 25 years) he had not known any homosexuals in uniform (I add the caveat "that he knew of").  He also raised the issue that Columnist Ann Coulter raised about Army PFC Bradley Manning, the releaser of hundreds of thousands of EMails to Wikileaks being a homosexual and a disaffected one at that.  I responded: 
I had figured I was the only one who didn't know any practicing homosexuals while on active duty.  I figured it was an indication of my lack of emotional insight.  I am glad to see I was not the only one.

It is a fact that the news about Manning's sexual orientation has been out there for some time and has generally not been mentioned.  That fact, coupled with his disaffection related to the military's approach to homosexuals serving appear to be the driving fact in his decision to commit acts that are tantamount to treason.

I think she [Coulter] must have written this before narcissism was removed from the Psychiatric Diagnosis Manual.  His (Bradley's) problems went well beyond being homosexual.

I liked "Don't Ask/Don't Tell" as an answer to the questions of homosexuals serving in the military.  I took it to be the same approach as we use for adulterers and it works there.  I remember when I showed up at Bitburg in January 1967 the first Officer's Call was that month and at it the Wing King, Bent Wing Ben Cassiday, stood up in the Officers Club and said that there would be no "Flag Polling".  I had to ask someone standing next to me what that was, but what it was, I was told, was not having sex with someone other than your wife within sight of the base flag poll.  Frankly, that made sense.  Why did people have to be told?

But, that said, I expect this thing is coming.

I think everyone has both the right and the duty to serve.  We register homosexuals for the draft.  We should also be registering young women.  But, we need to (1) be more judicious about who gets a serious clearance and (2) stop over-classifying stuff.

Back before we went to the Zoo (Air Force Academy) together there was some history program on TV and one of the episodes talked about letting people serve.  Back early on in colonial New York a small group of Jewish men, excluded from the local militia, sued in (British, I think, but could have been Dutch) court to have the right to walk the walls at night, just like everyone else.  They won.  It was a good thing.
The Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid, has promised to bring this to a vote.  Senator McCain is against repeal, but our junior Senator, Scott Brown has said he will vote yes.  I expect that at the end of the day there will be enough senators to vote for cloture and that will be that.  I do think that the US Senate should take this step.  When the Courts force some social change it only leads to upset and dissension.  It is far better for our elected representatives to make the change.  Here is the end of the Lowell Sun editorial:
U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates fears that if Congress fails to act, the "don't ask, don't tell" policy will wind up in court where it would likely be ruled unconstitutional.  The court would then end up forcing the military to accept gays, a development that would prove harmful to morale and battlefield performance, said Gates.

Gates is right. America doesn't need an activist court to tell the military what to do, even if the court is right in ending the ban.  Congress must show the courage to make this policy change. It's long overdue.
The US House of Representatives has acted.  It is time for the US Senate to do likewise.

Regards  —  Cliff

  I know it is lame to quote ones self, but I am thinking I am not creative enough to say the same thing twice, but in different ways.
  He was one of the first F-86 SABRE JET pilots and in his unit the pilots all bent their wings down at the ends to show that they were now flying swept wing jet aircraft.  This was a fad that did not last.

PLEASE IGNORE this link.  It is for testing purposes only.

11 comments:

Jack Mitchell said...

Of course The Tsun endorsed repeal. The teabaggers' prom king gave them permission:

"I pledged to keep an open mind about the present policy on Don't Ask Don't Tell. Having reviewed the Pentagon report, having spoken to active and retired military service members, and having discussed the matter privately with Defense Secretary Gates and others, I accept the findings of the report and support repeal based on the Secretary's recommendations that repeal will be implemented only when the battle effectiveness of the forces is assured and proper preparations have been completed."

lance said...

Maureen Dowd today has some interesting thoughts. I like the Katy Perry juxtaposition.

Jack Mitchell said...

Of course The Tsun endorsed repeal. The Teabaggers' prom king gave them permission:

"I pledged to keep an open mind about the present policy on Don't Ask Don't Tell. Having reviewed the Pentagon report, having spoken to active and retired military service members, and having discussed the matter privately with Defense Secretary Gates and others, I accept the findings of the report and support repeal based on the Secretary's recommendations that repeal will be implemented only when the battle effectiveness of the forces is assured and proper preparations have been completed."

Jack Mitchell said...

Of course The Tsun endorsed repeal. The Teabaggers' prom king gave them permission:

"I pledged to keep an open mind about the present policy on Don't Ask Don't Tell. Having reviewed the Pentagon report, having spoken to active and retired military service members, and having discussed the matter privately with Defense Secretary Gates and others, I accept the findings of the report and support repeal based on the Secretary's recommendations that repeal will be implemented only when the battle effectiveness of the forces is assured and proper preparations have been completed."
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/12/scott_brown_comes_out_in_favor.html

The New Englander said...

Jack, I disagree about the Prom King thing. The Tea Party is all up in arms because they feel Scott Brown has betrayed them in DC by showing a willingness to compromise with Dems and generally be moderate.

Jack Mitchell said...

Brown is only as good as his last vote. That is how it goes with the TP mob. That is the horse he rode in on. He is their prom king and Palin is the prom queen. 'Cause in right wingnut politics, it's a popularity contest. Merit is for elites. You betcha!

Oh, and on Brown being a "moderate." Pfft! I reject that frame. Nothing moderate about borrowing from China to give billionaires a bonus.

I think Brown is doing what McCain will not, listen to the women in his life. Good for him. I'll shake his hand when I see him driving his truck to the unemployment line in 2013. ;v)

C R Krieger said...

I agree with Jack that Senator Brown is only as good as his last vote.  On the other hand, "the statesman", John Forbes Kerry is good all the time, or so it seems to the Democratic Party Establishment centered down in Boston.  It is a strange world we live in.

As for maintaining the "Bush" tax level, I am of two minds.  On the one hand, I want to raise taxes to pay down the federal debt.  On the other hand, I am afraid that if we increase taxes the US Congress will just spend the money.

Regards  —  Cliff

Jack Mitchell said...

The Debt? We have to beat back the deficit first, don't we.

McConnell & Boehner swear the Bush tax cuts will save us from the mess we're in.

How did we get into this mess?

But being nervous about a Democrat near a tax dollar is not unwise. I'd cut The Navy back myself. I'd keep the part that totes the USMC around. But no one asks me.

C R Krieger said...

Jack

Yet. 

One of the fun jobs I had at National War College was conducting the end of year "budget" exercise.  You get the students from each of the Services, and some civilian students, in a room and say, give me a new Defense Budget, but you give them less money than is in the current budget.  It can get ugly.  I am working my way up to that right now on the blog.

The Federal budget is definitely a reflection of the nation's interests, its policies and its strategy.

That sentence should be scary, in light of the current budget.

Regards  —  Cliff

Jack Mitchell said...

Try this for fun:

Today, you’re in charge of the nation’s finances. Some of your options have more short-term savings and some have more long-term savings. When you have closed the budget gaps for both 2015 and 2030, you are done. Make your own plan, then share it online.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/13/weekinreview/deficits-graphic.html

Renee said...

It's really hard from my civilian point of view to have an opinion on this. I was thinking how this may affect other concerns.

I figure if you're mentally competent to serve, then you also have the ability within your vocation not to let your sexuality or another's sexuality to get in the way.

I know this may seem low on the priority list, but I wonder how this may affect Boy Scouts. My husband is an Eagle Scout, and my boys will be in Scouts. While not a part of the military, the connection is present in its roots.

Just as one couldn't be 'openly gay' in Scouts, I believe according to my husband they wouldn't allowed to talk about girls/sex while on Scouting trips either. I think simply rephrasing issues of all sex, of any orientation, and Scout should remain chaste and bring those concerns to their parents/guardians.


What does 'open' actually mean anyways, simply acknowledge one's gayness isn't even a sin according the Catholic Church. The focus is on behavior, if your a professional in your vocation it shouldn't and apparently not be a problem. If you're a Scout, as long as respectful towards sexuality as your heterosexual peers, then that's the real issue. Respect.

Still Boy Scouts are dealing with boys, not adults, and I think if my son was gay I just wouldn't put him in such a place of temptation as a young teen, just as I would let a straight 13 year old boy camp out with girls.