The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Bin Laden Burial

I was just over at Kad Barma's blog site, agreeing with him that burying the late Osama bin Laden at sea was a great idea.  Committed using Muslim rights and all that.  Then I skip over to the Instapundit and see this item:
On Facebook, Michael Yon writes: “Major mistake.  OBL was/is a powerful cult figure who has vanished with no ‘death certificate.’  His body should have been displayed.  The only thing more powerful than a living cult leader is one who disappears off the face of the earth.  Making his body disappear was a deadly blunder that plays straight into the hero myth.  Joseph Campbell couldn’t have written a more terrible ending.”
I don't know Joseph Campbell from Adam's Odd Ox, but I have a lot of respect for freelance reporter Michael Yon.

This gives me pause.

Regards  —  Cliff

4 comments:

Craig H said...

I disagree that an extant body is a more valuable asset as "proof", especially with all the tools we have today to document evidence, than it is dangerous as a propaganda liability. Catholics at the very least, via their relics, should understand the power of such to motivate and inspire.

Jack Mitchell said...

I had a similar thought, as Yon, but figure the decision was not made without aforethought. Mucho aforethought.

Props to Yon for conjouring my favorite comparative mythology dude. Cliff, there is an outstanding video series, interviews of Campbell by Bill Moyers. It is likely at the Pollard.

I'm not big on book club musing, but if you want to discuss Campbell's postulates, I'm game. (Jeff Wilson won't take your membership card away, if you watch PBS, will he?)

PS. There is a linky, I dropped, floating around here, reporting that Saddam Hussein is rumored to be alive. Damned if you do, ...

Craig H said...

Never forget, as Mojo Nixon reminds us, that Elvis is everywhere.

JoeS said...

bin Laden may be surprised to find his 72 virgins are mermaids.