The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Cloud

Over at the Althouse blog we have this post title:
"Google Introduces New Computer-Like Object, Where Everything Happens On the Web

"Oh? Great. Benefit? It's a neat idea. Drawback? Do you feel lucky? Well, I'm not feeling lucky with Google this week. I'd like to like t..."
The post has an embedded You Tube of the Rolling Stones, way back in 1965, singing "Get Off Of My Cloud".

When I hear The Cloud I think of the book.  Then I ask myself if we are talking "The Cloud of Unknowing" or "the Cloud of Forgetfulness"? In the case of Google, maybe both.

Kad Barma talked to this in a recent post, here.  the shorter Gospel from Kad is "cloud = clown".

The Blogger meltdown earlier in the week has gotten me thinking.  It has not brought me to a conclusion.  Blogger is free and easy to operate and has few annoyances.  Did I mention it was free?  On the other hand, an Apple central server in the house would benefit both my wife and myself in other ways.  What do women say, "You can never have too many shoes!"?

Regards  —  Cliff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I think of "cloud" I think in terms of an aviator and that means one of two scenarios, and in many cases, serially both. First is loss of control and the second is flying according to IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) which are promulgated (I just love that puffy word) by a government agency, the FAA, for our own good (can't resist) for flight into IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions). Both scenarios require absolute faith in the "rightness" and the "correctness" of external information sources that in truth have absolute control over you at any given IMC moment. In the first scenario, you must fly by instruments, that is, use the instruments to tell you what exactly the airplane is doing in that point and time and in three dimensional space. In the second, you must have absolute faith that the often laconic and disembodied voice in your headset is telling you the "right thing" to do, ie, "on course, on glideslope" means that you are going to touchdown on the runway safely - if you do everything as told by the controller and your Dash 1.

Cloud computing is the same, ultimately. "Don't worry. Be Happy. We'll do all the necessary "computing things" for you. All YOU have to do is tap on your keyboard." This is the ultimate Big Mother taking care of her brood.

And we discover some disconcerting little things along the Yellow Brick Road such as, your Apple iPhone is dutifully (and frankly, dishonestly) recording your every action to.......well......someone in the cloud....somewhere.

Steven Jobs swears that the information is held only for engineering design and maintenance purposes.....and if you truly believe what Steven is saying.....I have a consortium of friends in Florida that I'd love to get you together with to discuss land purchases.

I don't want to have to wait for some disembodied controllers voice to tell me that "they" have returned control of my screen to me after controlling my horizontal and my vertical.

After all, isn't controlling those things on YOUR VERY OWN screen what FREEDOM is all about.

Oh...and lest I forget...and this is NOT conspiracy theorist thinking.....only last year Obama discussed the need (and desire) for a WH based Internet kill switch. A cloud certainly seems the most ideal location for one.