For John, BLUF: Maybe George will comment on this situation. Nothing to see here; just move along.
Tape reveals judge quick with low bail
Reporter Brian Dowling and The Boston Herald, yesterday, 28 April 2017.
Here is the lede plus one:
A state judge freed a previously deported Uber driver accused of rape on light bail even after a prosecutor insisted that federal immigration agents were drafting a detainer and asked for high bond to hold him, according to a court recording obtained by the Herald.Cast of Characters:
The stunning tape of Tuesday’s hearing reveals Newton District Court Judge Mary Beth Heffernan cutting the arguments short before a defense attorney could even counter the prosecution’s $100,000 bail and GPS-monitoring demand, interjecting, “Twenty-five hundred dollars cash.”
- Luis Baez — Previously Deported illegal immigrant, using a false name, accused of raping an inebriated Boston College student.
- Raquel Frisardi — The Middlesex Assistant District Attorney, who requested a $100,000 bail and GPS Monitoring.
- Mary Beth Heffernan — The impatient Judge of the Newton District Court, who gave the now missing Mr Baez a $2500 bail.
- John Benzan — The Defense Attorney, who didn't even get a chance to complete his counter to the Prosecutor's requests.
- The General Court — Who will do nothing.
- The Governor's Council — Who will learn nothing.
- Unnamed BC Student — Who will not see here complaint tried in court.
Here is a poll, where you can pick as many options as you wish.
Hat tip to the InstaPundit.
Regards — Cliff