For John, BLUF: The Mueller Probe is turning into a sick joke. Nothing to see here; just move along.
Here is the sub-headline:
From Politico, by Mr Josh Gerstein, 29 June 2018.
Here is the lede:
Special counsel Robert Mueller’s office is asking a federal court to continue postponing setting a sentencing hearing for Michael Flynn, the former Trump national security adviser who pleaded guilty last year to a felony count of making false statements in the course of an FBI investigation into potential collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.Doesn't Mr Mueller realize that a large segment of the population thinks that (1) Mr Trump is like Adolph Hitler and (2) that Mr Trump colluded with Russia over the 2016 election? Those two things mean that Mr Trump is illegitimate as President. It is all rubbish, but they believe it. They believe it sincerely. Either that or they are the worst sorts of hypocrites and will smear anyone for political gain. But, what if they believe it and start to act on it? Like La Résistance.
Given that, Mr Mueller is obviously playing with fire by his slow, methodical, pace in this investigation, and he could burn down the nation. On the one hand, a President, believed by millions to have sold out to President Putin of Russia, is going to a summit with him. On the other hand, a duly elected President, at least in the minds of millions, is being hamstrung by a never ending investigation that provides leaks to a salacious press and sound bites to politicians who would rather hamstring the legislative process than give any space to a President they
- In July 2016 the FBI began looking into Russian meddling in the US Presidential Election.
- In November, against all odds and all predictions, Mr Trump won the Electoral College and the Presidency.
- In May of 2017 the President dismissed FBI Director James Comey, something the Democrats had sought, until it happened.
- In May of 2017 the Assistant Attorney General, Mr Rod Rosenstein, appointed Mr Mueller as a Special Counsel, with broad duties.
- Tomorrow will be 1 July 2018, over thirteen months since Mr Mueller was appointed. The Leader of the French Vichy Government, Marshall of France Philippe Pétain was put on trial for treason from 23 July to 15 August 1945, and that was after VE-Day, in May of 1945.
- Mr Mueller is still digging, but hasn't found anything yet, or
- He has found something, but is waiting for a time which will best help the Democrats, a sort of October Surprise, or
- It is a good gig and he doesn't wish to see it go away.
- They thought it was merely blow-back from our interfering in a recent Russian election, and
- They, incorrectly, believed that Mrs Clinton had a lock and this was noise, and
- This was part of the then President's modus operandi of leading from behind.
Hat tip to the Drudge Report.
Regards — Cliff