The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

We Are Not Up To It?

Over at the Althouse blog is a discussion of…what?  Maybe it is a discussion, on "Morning Joe, between former Boston newsman Mike Barnacle and former Newsweek editor Jon Meachum.  Or, is it about radio personality Rush Limbaugh being ahead of the curve?  Here is the money quote:
I think he’s stunned by it…I think it’s if you think of it from a biographical point of view, it’s his thinking the system — in a weird way the country is not commensurate with his gifts.  That’s a harsh thing to say. But I have a feeling in the dark night of a soul, that’s what he feels.  I think he thinks this is an 18th century Constitutional Republic that needs significant updating.  I think he sees the reflects of opposition that a culture that Gingrich helped build as one huge stumbling block.  He sees all of us as another huge stumbling block.
My source for the quote is this blog site.

The thought in Mr Meachum's comment that bothered me was "this is an 18th century Constitutional Republic that needs significant updating".  Yes, he places the thought in President Obama's mind, whether it actually exists there is still to be determined, but I suspect it is in his mind.  Worse, it may well be lingering in the minds of others, like Mr Meachum's.

This is a reflection of the debate going on in Europe, where France and Germany are advocating ever more centralized and standardized government, and the UK is saying a more decentralized system is needed.  One size does not fit all.  And, migration is one solution to your piece of the system not working the way you think it should.  I am not advocating "America, love it or leave it".  I don't care what your "ism" is, as long as you play by the rules.  Doesn't mean I like your shade of politics, but I do respect your right to have that view and to peacefully advocate it.

So, that brings me back to our "18th century Constitutional Republic".  I like our system and am not interested in trading it in for some early 19th century Bonapartist form of centralized government.  While it might work for Continental Europe, it won't work for us.

Regards  —  Cliff

  And, what does Mr Meachum's actually know of the "Dark Night of the Soul"?  Does he even like the poem?

1 comment:

Jack Mitchell said...

Most often, we are disappointed when a President fails to live up to our expectations. Could it be America has failed to live up to Obama's?

It's possible, with his biography, a trajectory that he credits could only happen in America, that he had more "Hope," than those that lifted him to the Presidency.

I wanted to believe in us.