The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Getting An Angle On It

Writing on the Blog , Law Professor Tom Smith has this article, "Angling for Reid ".  It is a play on words, talking about Nevada Republican Senate Candidate Sharron Angle, who is running against incumbent Senator (and Senate Majority Leader) Harry Reid.  Professor Smith writes:
She doesn't sound that crazy to me.
The article in question, from The Wall Street Journal, gives a little background on Ms Sharron Angle.

While I believe taking down Senator Harry Reid is not going to be easy, I was interested in the article because it provides a broader picture of Ms Angle than just another "Tea Party" amateur.  I am thinking it should be an interesting race.  I am wondering if voter turnout will be high.  In class this last Friday we went over voting patterns and our text noted that in the 2004 National Election Nevada ranked 45th in the nation for "voting age population casting ballots", at 51.3%.  In 2006, per the US Census Bureau, the turnout was 37.3%.  In contrast, Massachusetts had a 50% turnout in the November 2006 election.

Regards  —  Cliff

  Professor Tom Smith is at the University of San Diego School of Law.  Among the graduates of the Law School are my Son, Clifford, Theo Epstein, and a young woman at the table we were sitting at last evening at the Reception for the newly married Greg Page and Ratriey Dang.  The young woman, who now practices law in New York City, noted that Professor Smith was fairly conservative.
  State and Local Government.  The reason 2004 was picked is that we are at the end of the cycle for the current version of the textbook.  The new book is due out any day now.

5 comments:

Craig H said...

My separate church (from state, natch) recoils at the hubris to feel oneself "called by God" to do just about anything.

Bill Cosby had a great bit about why calling on God at a roulette table never works--how's the big guy supposed to keep straight which number is supposed to come up if everybody is praying for a different one--but I think it's the similarity to the jihadist rhetoric associated with suicide bombing that really points out the essence of the problem.

What we actually need are more people who feel themselves in charge of their own faculties.

the Other cliff said...

"Fairly conservative?" The man advocates elimination of insider trading and monopoly laws. Indeed, not only is he conservative, he is also intelligent in that he actually articulates sound reasons for the elimination of both.

C R Krieger said...

Kad

Actually, I thought that her somewhat independent turn of mind would appeal to you.  Not quite the Nebraska Legislature sort of nonpartisanship, but still.  Then there is Washington State, which has basically moved to non-partisan elections with its primary system, where the top two on the primary ballot go to the general election, with the chance of the odd outcome sort of like France in 2002.

For the Other Cliff, I think my interlocutor did suggest that he was more along the lines you suggested than what I wrote.

Regards  —  Cliff

Craig H said...

What is independent about not being able to think for oneself?

C R Krieger said...

I think that Ms Angle is probably a pretty independent thinker and her being a Southern Baptist sort of suggests it.  And her record in the Nevada Legislature suggests the same thing.

I am reminded of Harry Truman being asked about how, as a Baptist, he could drink, to which he replied, "Because I am a Baptist".

Baptists believe in the individual being free to interpret the Bible, which is why there are so many "Baptist" denominations.  I hope that "belief in God" is not some sort of a shibboleth by which we are now separating people—if so, I fall on the Angle side of the divide.  While I am not a Baptist, I do believe in God and even in the idea that God "calls" some people to do things.  And, as Ms Angle noted in a Fox News interview, equips them.

What I would not like to see this deteriorate into is a test of the faith of the Candidates.  Are we going to cross-examine Senator Reid on his Mormon faith?  I would hope not.  It is going to be bad enough with the anti-Mormon prejudice in the run-up to 2012.  Not that Mr Romney is my candidate at this time, but I saw too much of that when he was running for governor here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Although, I guess we could all vote to ban people with a religious faith from holding public office, or being in the Civil Service.

Regards  —  Cliff