The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Watchman

This Sunday's First Reading is from the Book of the Prophet Ezekiel 33:7-9.
You, son of man, I have appointed watchman for the house of Israel; when you hear me say anything, you shall warn them for me. If I tell the wicked man that he shall surely die, and you do not speak out to dissuade the wicked man from his way, he (the wicked man) shall die for his guilt, but I will hold you responsible for his death. But if you warn the wicked man, trying to turn him from his way, and he refuses to turn from his way, he shall die for his guilt, but you shall save yourself.
I am normally a "live and let live" kind of person, but this Reading challenges that approach to life.

Is it just the Prophet who is called to speak up, or is it all of us?

In his homily Father Sannella cited both Dr Karl Menninger and Paster Martin Niemöller.  In the case of Dr Karl Menninger, he was one of the few who spoke out about the sinking of the RMS Lusitania and the fact that it was carrying armaments as well as passengers, but that the carrying of armaments was hidden and not revealed, even by the US Government.

From Paster Martin Niemöller we have this statement on the political and social problem in Germany in the 1930s and early 1940s:
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
When I thought of the passage I thought of Mr William Bulger, former Massachusetts Senate President and former President of the UMass System.  Didn't those chaps take an oath of office.  If so, why did he not provide information on his Brother, Whitey, who was accused of several murders.  If Mr William Bulger had been a private citizen his refusal to help law enforcement would have been more understandable, but still, he would have been under the admonition from the Prophet Ezekiel, as would any of us.

There may be difficult days ahead for these United States and knowing right from wrong and being willing to mention it to those around us would be important.  Otherwise we could succumb to the criminal elements.

The Reading also called to mind Watchman Nee.  However, Watchman need did not take his name from the Old Testament.  Rather, Watchman Nee took his name because he saw himself "as someone that stayed up in the middle of the night to awaken men of the coming of Christ."  One of Watchman Nee's more popular books is The Normal Cristian Life, with over one million copies sold.  From Watchman Nee:
Christ is the Son of God Who died for the redemption of sinners and was resurrected after three days. This is the greatest truth in the universe.  I die because of my belief in Christ.
Watchman Nee.
Watchman Nee died after 20 years in Communist Chinese prisons, in prison for his faith.

I wonder if the Grand Inquisitor of The New York Times Mr Bill Keller knows who Watchman Nee is?  I am willing to bet that at least one of the Republicans running for their Party's presidential nomination does.

Regards  —  Cliff

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three Republicans for sure, Bachmann, Perry, and Huntsman.

As an AF Chief and thus as a designated leader, I fell into the trap (my hindsight)of being "understanding" and "accepting differences" of behaviors that were anathema to those my upbringing taught me were unacceptable...particularly in God's eyes. As an AF Chief in a combat ready persona, I fell into behaviors that were knowingly unacceptable to God....and much of society.

As I have reviewed the tapes of my live over and over, I am now of the opinion that as is pointed out in the Scripture, our silence regarding things sinful (open definition) is tantamount to DOING those things ourselves. Thus, we are in a very poor position to point fingers...and yet....our salvation per the Scripture requires that we point those fingers..that we speak out and up....that we become an earthly emissary for God...that we eschew being a comfortable and acceptable "part of the great unwashed."

Would doing so bring down upon us derision and other negative responses? Absolutely. Christ was vilified for His beliefs communicated. Nobody likes a paragon of morality. But then, who will be our judge in the end?

America has begun its descent into the fires of Hell simply because Americans, collectively, have been "inclusionist," laissez faire, "understanding," and "sensitive to the needs and lifestyle choices of others." We have remained silent while the anything goes, I'm going to get mine at your expense because I am owed it crowd ransacks our society...and our country.

The church welcomes sinners with open arms....but NEVER...EVER....their sin.

I applaud your insight Cliff!!!

lance said...

What a thoughtful post and comment.

I think we are all called to be a witness to our faith, to be like the prophet in our actions certainly, and often they "speak louder than words." It will be difficult for us to discern what is it that we are called to love and what is wicked. Sometimes that means noting that even what we were brought up to believe might be wicked in a public application where our Constitution is designed from the beginning to protect the minority and to gurantee equal rights.

I can't help but think of Germany in the 30's and what the watchman's/prophet's role would be. So while I am sure that several of the Republican candidates are aware of the Watchman, I just wonder who they will come for next after the immigrants, the deficit spenders, the gays who would marry, the people on welfare, the unemployed and the liberals have been rooted out.

lance said...

As I ponder this more, I wonder why the blogger didn't choose the second reading and which candidates would subscribe to it.

C R Krieger said...

Because the Blogger was REALLY struck by the First Reading.  Besides, "Life is short and art is long."

I now have to go read "the galleries" one more time.  I am negligent in that area.

Regards  —  Cliff