The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Spirituality in America

It is Sunday and tomorrow is the feast day of St John of the Cross, one of my favorite Carmelites, so a discussion of spirituality seems appropriate.

In my view, the United States is a fairly religious nation, especially when compared to the European Union.  Now comes New York Times columnist Charles M Blow with a report on a Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life report, "Many Americans Mix Multiple Faiths".

As this Venn Diagram to the right shows, there is some overlap as to what some people believe.  But, believe they do.

The one thing that did surprise me was belief in something supernatural and political leanings.  I would have thought that those who self-identify as Republicans would be more likely to believe in ghosts and to consult fortune-tellers.  Turns out I was wrong.
For those keeping political score, Democrats were almost twice as likely to believe in ghosts and to consult fortune-tellers than were Republicans, and the Democrats were 71 percent more likely to believe that they were in touch with the dead. Please hold the Barack-Obama-as-the-ghost-of-Jimmy-Carter jokes. Heard them all.
Gee, I haven't heard any.  I think he should have shared some of the jokes, although I recognize it is the NYT.

Regards  —  Cliff

PS: Hat tip to Law Professor Ann Althouse.

1 comment:

Ettore Grillo said...

I dont know Saint John of the Cross, but I Know Saint Therese of Lisieux, also called Saint Theresine of the child Jesus. I live in Sicily. I went to the nothern France, at Lisieux, for visiting the places where lived this great Saint. I have read also her book the "Story of a soul", a very powerful book, indeed. Nevertheless I confess I am not able to fully understand the mystic people. I want to verify everithing. Searching for God, the immortal soul, the life after the death, I have been travelling exstensively,coming across to extraordinary people who helped me. The Book I have recently written may help in this direction,and I want to draw it to your attention. The title is "Travels of the mind" and it is available at www.strategicpublishinggroup.com/title/TravelsOfTheMind.html
If you have any question I am most willing to discuss about this topic.
Ettore Grillo