The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

After the Thin Man

A reason to have some sense of the Bible is that it helps explain some of the humor in older movies.  In After the Thin Man, Nora Charles' stuffy Aunt Katherine keeps referring to Police Detective Abrams as Abraham.  Why so ever for?  From Genesis, Chapter 17 we have these verses:
  1. When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said:  "I am God the Almighty. Walk in my presence and be blameless.
  2. Between you and me I will establish my covenant, and I will multiply you exceedingly."
  3. When Abram prostrated himself, God continued to speak to him:
  4. "My covenant with you is this:  you are to become the father of a host of nations.
  5. No longer shall you be called Abram; your name shall be Abraham, for I am making you the father of a host of nations.
Thus, the name change is part of showing that Aunt Katherine is a snob, correcting the policeman's name, as God might have done.

I know that almost all of you don't care about this minor point, but I put it up for my youngest Brother.

Regards  —  Cliff

No comments: